Monday, April 8, 2013

If I Can, So Can You!


I'm going to confess my deep dark secret once and for all....I'm kind of lazy.
(Although this probably is not a big revelation to the people that know me.)

I have a job that I work hard at and I have five kids, three dogs and three cats.  Caring for all of these things and keeping a house will drain anyone and the idea of working out was kind of like the idea of visiting Egypt: I really want to do it someday...but this is not that day.

Also, to be perfectly honest, I would hurt like hell after exerting myself.  My back and hip pain had been getting progressively worse over the years--likely due to the pregnancies and carrying around children all day.  As I have gotten older the pain has been more frequent.  Like daily.  Getting out of bed in the morning I felt like I was in worse shape than my 83 year old mother!  I took ibuprofen daily. 

So, like most women, I had a nice list of excuses (or if you rather, reasons) for not being active.  For spending far too much time on the sofa instead of on my feet.  I was freaking exhausted and in pain.  What are you going to do? 

I will tell you what I did...

I signed up for a 5k!

Good grief!  What was I thinking?  I hadn't run since middle school.  I got winded walking up a flight of stairs!  I weighed the most I have ever weighed (not pregnant) and it was settling around my midsection.  I was beginning to add knee pain, joint pain and high cholesterol to my list of ailments.  I knew I had to do something or I was heading down the fast track to a heart attack. 

But a 5k???

Motivation, baby!  I know my limitations mentally and lack of motivation was a huge barrier on my road to health and fitness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment